Saturday, August 2, 2008

Exercise? - Part II - LSD, Cardio, Walking

... continuation from the Part 1 ...

My immediate thought was to quickly sign-up with a local gym, and perhaps hire a personal trainer... time is really running out. I need to loose this fat within the 3-months that I've set, whatever I do, I need to decide fast... take action now!

The problem with me going to the gym was that, I've to be away from home.. I figured, is it worth for me to achieve my goals while leaving my beloved kids and wife at home?, and me pounding on the threadmill/irons for 1-2 hours daily going back and forth to the gym?

Not worth it, and I don't think it's for a long run.

But then again, for me to jog around the housing estate at around 7:30pm to 8:30pm daily sounded a bit scary... knowing the fact that there's a lot of hungry-stray dogs and worst.. mad-man on the street!

That's when I decided to buy a cardio machine at home. Made-up my mind to get a elliptical trainer, for it's low-impact workout - remember i was still at 133.7kg at that time. At the store, to my surprised, none of the elliptical machine (aka cross trainer) able to support my weight!!!! most of the affordable models has a max limit of 120kg!! (unless i get a gym-grade equipment which will cost me more than RM8000!!).

I tell you, that alone killed my enthusiasm big time. I almost give-up, called my wife and chatted for a long time on how dissapointed I am (while I was still at the store). After the call, I was ready to leave the store, and that's when the salesperson offered me to get a good-ol-fashion threadmill.. which was on sale, and a last display unit.. at a very special discount.. and doesn't have limits on max-weights!

I hate running, let alone to jog by myself in the living room... but looking at my options in-hand... I don't have a choice! and I still would like to achieve my set goals!

I went home proudly showed the paid invoice to my wife, expecting a delivery within a couple of days. I'm excited, at the same time, worried, coz I've no clue how the hell I'm going to fully maximise the use of the equipment... can it assist me in my goals? i don't know..

While waiting for the machine to arrive, I've made an extensive readings through Mr. Google on how best I can maximise the use of my new toy. In my mind, I shall only use the machine to do a good walking exercise only (because I hate running, period). That's when I learnt about fat burning zone, target heart rate, maximum heart rate (MHR). Excellent article here on the Truth About the Fat Burning Zone.


Here's the most recent picture (2-Aug-2008) taken of my threadmill. Been having it for 1+ years already - one of the most used/useful investment I've made to myself.




You need to learn on how to maximise your time in the workout, by doing exercises at the intensity that gives you the most effective results. You shall learn about target heart rate & MHR, or a more simple method using the Borg Scale of Perceived Exertion: (see below)
Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating muruku
Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
Level 9: I am probably going to die
Level 10: I am dead

You have to target your workout at level 6-7 to be in the 'fat burning zone', to achieve the best results. (I tell you later that I've discovered that this is one of the biggest myth in doing your cardio workouts).

I started my walking workouts for at least 2-3 months (tried running, but hell it's too much for me), based on the general knowledge in cardio (i know now it's a myth!!!), I did what they used to call it LSD - Long, Slow, Distance. I walk for as many hours I can on it, at Level 6-7, as far as I can. On weekends, I even did some hours in the morning, and later some more at night (to clock-in more hours in my workout charts).

Yes, I did see some results, but boy, very slow, too slow infact, excruciating loooong hours ... not to mention dead boring routines!!

(Not until I've discovered the science of Interval Training, and later High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), circuit training, & supersets training. That's the key in my workouts of blow-torching the fat. It provides shorter time of workouts (max 20mins cardio), many variations (interesting routines), and excellent results - yes!).

Still, the LSD seems the only knowledge I've at that point in time....my enthusiasm still at the highest.

Let's continue to part III later - I'll share with you what I've learn from my personal trainers... yup.. with an 's'... coz I've a few of them, and I follow closely their advises... stay tune.

In the meantime, if you want to read more, try this good light reading from WebMD:


Sher Khan.

continue to Exercise? - Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin