Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Gym is a must?

I've gotten some feedback to my recent posts asking...'Sher, what happened to you now, you've used to advocate using mostly full bodyweight workouts at home rather than traditional weight-bearing exercises in the gym aka bodybuilder routines. Is it because the bodyweight workouts no longer effective?'

Hell no!

You've mistakenly understood me. As you've seen in my recent posts (this, and this) - I've mentioned I went to the gym on the saturdays right? it's true, and that's like a day in a 7-days in a week. What do you think I've been doing the rest of the 6-days in a week?.. you guess right.. full bodyweight workouts at home.. Craig's style of coz!

To me, a full bodyweight workouts is the most time effective workouts, can do just about anywhere, and it's hard enough, that able to bring your heart rates skyrocketing - which is perfect for losing the fat while building muscles!
However, I needed that heavy weight bearing exercises just to varies my workout routines so that my body won't adapt to the same intensity/movement. Our body is smart, we should change our exercise routines every now and then, so that the muscles will keep guessing and it shall grow to accomodate to the condition you're feeding it..!

Some people thought since they can bench at 50kg, doing a bodyweight workouts is for beginners.. or sissy. Wait till they try some of the circuits, and I'll bet you, they'll agree that it's tough... 

Don't believe me?, try this sample from Craig's routine.

"Turbulence Training Bodyweight Circuit"
 
o Do each exercise at a 1-0-1 pace except for the holds.
o For Burpees & Running High Knees, go as fast as possible.
o Do all exercises without resting between each.
o At the end of the circuit, rest 1 minute & repeat twice more for a total of 3 sets.
 
1) Jumping Jacks - 60 reps
2) Spiderman Pushup - 10 reps per side
3) Walking Lunge - 15 reps per side
4) Spiderman Climb - 10 reps per side
5) Wall Squat Hold - 45 second hold
6) Plank Hold - 60 second hold
7) Burpees - 5 reps
8] Running High Knees - 25 reps per side





Try and let me know, how effective this is! (i've been doing it myself!!)

no equipment needed, no gym required. Just some space around you.

now, stop the excuses, and start moving!

ps: so you're busy? even the Obamas got the time to exercise.. you?


Sher Khan.

4 comments:

  1. hi sher. i would like to copy those training and videos to my blog if u dont mind? tq for sharing all these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi.. those are public domain.. go ahead, as long as you reference it to the correct sources!

    all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sher, need to ask one more question.hehe.what does this mean?: Do each exercise at a 1-0-1 pace except for the holds. what is 1-0-1 pace?tq.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey bimb, as it says, it's a pace you counted in your head while doing the routines.. always go 1, 0 , 1 , 0 ,1 ,0.. get into the rhythms..
    watever the case maybe, don't let this little thing bothers you. Just loaded up with the exercises by keeping your mind body and soul connected.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin